I decided today to do some experimenting with Mandelbulb 3D to try to learn the different formulas, what works with what and so on. After several hours of starting new, swapping things out and generally making a mess of things, this started to come together. Once I had the design down it took me - all night - I kid you not, to get something I liked for lighting. I finally found a lighting preset that I had saved from one of Gary Webb's fractals a while back and used an edited version of it which seems to work well. Even after all of that, It is still not what I wanted totally but it's not bad. I am posting parameters if anyone wants to play with this set of things. I am not sure if I really learned a thing, but at least I do like this end result.